Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Asaab: Eritrean Cuisine!

A few nights ago I was introduced to an entirely new world of foodie goodness. We went to a West African restaurant called Asaab on Geary st. They specialize in Eritrean cuisine (that's a country in Africa, for all you "Miss America"'s out there), which consists of veggies, meat, and the most important part of the dish, injera!
The way to approach a typical Eritrean meal is sans silverware. 
see the spongy stuff? thats injera.
YES, I just said that.
A.k.a, you eat with your hands, and of course, the injera. Now what exactly is injera you ask? well it is a soft, spongy, pancake-like, sourdough tasting bread disk thing. Sort of difficult to describe, but basically you use this amazing goodness to eat your food with.


We ordered about 6 entreés (for 4 people...reasonable, right?), which included beef, lamb, chicken, potatoes, lentils, spinach, and a salad came along with it. The way it is served is family style; everything piled on one massive plate atop the injera. 
Protocol for eating this meal? Rip off some injera, and grab whatever you can, and stuff your face. BEST THING EVER. 
OH. MY. GOD.


At this point we were eating out of pure deliciousness. It was just so good. All the flavors and spices went amazing with each other, and most of the time I didn't even really know what I was eating. But let me tell you, I was SO INCREDIBLY FULL afterwards.
Let me also tell you that I intend on returning many, many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment